Featured

3d printed, articulated action figures

Mario V

Project info

Ever since I got something 3d printed for the first time I've been hooked, and all my free time art has been for 3d printing... So far I've done everything through shapeways, but this month I ordered 2 printers and I'm looking forward to enhance my home and furniture with printed additions.

The more challenging project so far has been trying to do 6/7 inch articulated action figures. I've done a few so far reusing the same base, inspired in existing characters plus some misc accessories to go along.

The 3D part is completely done in modo. I've mostly automated the process in modo as far as I could. Sculpts in separate layers get applied automatically to the articulated base mesh and the body pieces are reordered for printing and exported automatically.

I use several faces on morph maps that I can blend with each other for some variation and displacements masks with musculature for slightly different builds.

The figures are made to just be snapped together, no need to glue anything... just plug the different body parts together and you're good to go. They're painted with acrylics and sealed with a Krylon finish.